Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Gaming Blind

I should be leaving for game night (you've still got time to join us) but I just had to post this first.

From time to time I get emails asking for game suggestions. Today I got one that was really unique. Someone was looking for games to play with someone who is blind. He's an 18 year old who enjoys Catch Phrase but is looking for something else. I scratched my head a bit and here's what I came up with. See if you can think of anything else that might work.

Coloretto would probably work. It's a card game played with colored cards but there is no hidden information whatsoever so as long as someone is willing to to tell him the colors of the cards as they are turned over I would think he could probably play it. It also happens to be a very good game.

Ra might work as well for similar reasons. It's an excellent auction game where tiles are auctioned off and players try to build sets of tiles. There is no hidden information and the board is just a place to put the tiles while they are auctioned off. You don't need to be able to see the board, you just need to know what you and others have already bought, and what is currently up for auction.

Wits & Wagers is a simple party game. Each player submits an answer to a trivia question, the answers are read off and then everyone places bets on which answer they think is most correct. That's repeated over seven questions and whoever ends up with the most points wins. It's light and fun and I can see no reason why someone who can't see wouldn't be able to play the game.

If you can think of anything else that might work, please post a comment!

2 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, March 08, 2006, Blogger Phollower said...

I would bet there are a fair number of games that could be adapted for someone who is blind. Blokus comes to mind. The pieces would have to get a braille sticker on top of each in order to tell the colors apart without seeing them. Something like these:
http://sun1.aph.org/starweb/APHBLLouis/servlet.starweb

I'm sure I couldn't do it but someone who uses their hands to "see" with all the time could probably touch the board and determine where the pieces they have left would fit.

I bet Liar's Dice would work too and dice can be felt and figured out without any adaptations at all.

I hope this helps. Have you posted this question on BGG yet? It's a good one and I wouldn't be suprised if people have made adaptations to games to make them playable for the blind already. Good Luck!

 
At 6:11 AM, March 10, 2006, Blogger Phollower said...

I mentioned this to my wife who had a couple more suggestions, both of which could be easily done with some braille stickers:
Manilla- a few Braille stickers on the goods cards should get you up and running.
For Sale- again, some braille stickers to show the value of the cards would be all you'd need.
These, and probably most games, would require a little help from the non-visually impaired gamers but they'd certainly be doable. Let us know if you hear anything from the actual user!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home