Monday, October 16, 2006

Yeah, yeah. I know I'm late.

I'm about as late as I can be with last week's game night post without missing it entirely. But I have a pretty good excuse (naturally). You see, I've been building a deck.

Here's the story in a nutshell: as you may know, we moved to a new house last summer. Now this is a lovely house but there were a few problems. One of them was the deck. The previous owner had built what I'm sure he thought was a lovely deck. Unfortunately, when it comes to deck construction, he was completely incompetent. I could go on and on about how bad this deck was but let me spare you the trouble and just say it this way: it was not even remotely safe. So this summer's project was tearing down the old deck and building a new one in its place. This was my last week of construction and, knowing our weather here in the Great "North-wet", I finished just in time. I suspect that's the last week of clear weather we're liable to see this year. Anyway, I've been scrambling like mad to finish it up and I've finally finished it. What a sense of accomplishment! So anyway, that's my excuse for being late with this post (and why it's going to be so short).

So last week we had a great turnout and I was able to play several games. First up for me was San Juan, the card game based on Puerto Rico. It's a fantastic game and I did worse than I've ever done. Also played was Aqua Romana which is a pretty nice connection game, similar to Metro or Streetcar. Be warned: the English translation of the rules is horrible. And capping off the night were two games of my favorite four-player card game: Tichu.

Max was my partner for one of those games and he was a real sport. Completely new to Tichu, he was forced to learn the game with three more experienced players and in spite of a few dreadful rookie mistakes, I think he did rather well. I'll happily partner with him again. Hopefully he'll come back for more tomorrow night.

Join us Tuesday night when we'll do it all again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home