Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Game Night: The Rerun

This week's game night writeup could have been a cut and paste job from last week's. I played almost eactly the same set of games: Notre Dame, Caylus Magna Carta, and . In fact, I think I'll refrain from commenting on those three too much except to say that I still like all three, I still suck at Notre Dame, and Caylus Magna Carta is just different enough from the original game that the formula for success continues to elude me.

Once again I brought my three oldest sons and once again they had a good time. While I way playing my first two games (see above) my boys played the Well of Darkness Expansion for Descent. Now Descent is a gorgeous game and I can totally understand why so many folks like it but it's a little too long for my tastes so I was only too happy to let others play the game with my boys. It's a dungeon crawler where one player runs a dungeon and the other players try to raid the place, kill all the nasty beasties and take their stuff. This time the players lost. Badly. But they all had a good time. At one point, if I understand correctly, the players' desperate strategy was to kill one of their own players because he had some artifact on him that would have caused him to explode and take with him all surrounding critters. They couldn't even manage to do that though. Ha! Good times.

Also hitting the table last night was Reiner Knizia's masterpiece: Tigris & Euphrates. This is one of the best euro-games ever made. It's highly strategic with a very strong tactical element. The abstract concepts fit well with the theme. (Yes, I'm aware that some would disagree with me on that but they're wrong, and this is my blog so I get to say so!) The pieces are beautiful. The whole package is very satisfying. I can't recommend this one highly enough.

If you're in the neighborhood, come join us next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home