Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Two Weeks in a Row!

The world must be coming to an end.

Last night was Tuesday night and that means I went to game night. We had a rather small turnout last night because the Seattle contingent was absent but we also had a few newcomers and there were more than enough people there to keep everybody playing and happy.

I played Metropolys and Tichu last night, which was fun. I also played a little Richocet Robot, which I always enjoy. But there were two games that were new to me which I want to talk about.

The first one I want to talk about is Toledo. This is a new game by Martin Wallace, who is known for making some of the best deep thinking Euro-games out there. This is not one of those games. But don't get the wrong idea! It's still a very good game. Toledo is a nice light-to-middle-weight family game where players compete to acquire resources which they use to make swords which they then deliver to the Spanish emperor's palace for victory points. The mechanics are very simple (which is unusual for a Wallace game) and the game plays relatively quickly. This is not likely to ever become a true classic like Age of Steam, but it's a very nice game and I really enjoyed playing it.

The last game I want to talk about is a light dice game called Airships. I really enjoyed it but that's not why I want to talk about it. I want to talk about this game because it's one of those times where I think I really messed up. House Full of Games is still a smallish store and I don't always choose to stock every single game that comes out. Airships is one of those games that for some reason managed to float (pun intended) under my radar. That's a mistake that I plan to rectify as soon as I can because I thought it was a pretty darn good game (better than its 6.5 BGG rating would indicate).

So my message to you is this: if there is a game coming out that you are excited about (particularly if it's not one of the obvious blockbusters like, say, Agricola) and you think that I should know about it, please send me an email (steve@housefullofgames.com) and let me know! Every now and then I miss a game that I really wish I'd paid attention to and this was definitely one of those times.

Update: Airships should be listed on HFoG by tomorrow morning (June 28).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home